Communication by Benoît Labourdette to listen (25 minutes) on the stage use of live contributions from unknown users. As part of the symposium “Attention, machine!”. February 7,2018. This symposium organised by the Litt&Arts UMR of the University Grenoble Alpes is part of the programme of Experimenta, Arts Sciences Biennial in Grenoble. .
This communication is based on the example of the transmedia show« Bonjour ma belle », to address the articulation between work method and produced result. In order to deal with the subject of ordinary sexism in social networks and to integrate the contribution of unknown users as an intrinsic matter of a stage proposal, it was necessary to have a great deal of flexibility, an adapted method of creation. Moreover, the playwright’s proposal was very specific because it addressed two audiences simultaneously in different positions: the audience (200 people) and the participants via the Periscope application (2500 people).
Organising committee: Guillaume Bourgois, Litt&Arts, Cinéma - Pierre Jailloux, Litt&Arts, Cinéma - Alice Lenay, Litt&Arts, Cinéma - Rémi Ronfard, INRIA, Imagine, Computer sciences - Julie Valero, Litt&Arts, Arts de la scène.
Attention, machine! Artistic Practices and Media Recycling
Organized by CINESTHEA, this interdisciplinary colloquium (Cinema Studies, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Computer Science) will unite university communications, meetings with artists, conferences for the general public and shows on the theme of the links between machines and scenic creation.
Rather than “protecting” humans from colonization by technology, isn’t the real challenge to be careful with machines - not to treat them as enemies, but to draw the surprises of machines? The performing arts are a strategic observation point for observing this type of phenomenon, which always challenges the traditional boundaries between the media.
How do contemporary artistic practices (cinema, theatre, performance, installation, new writing) integrate new media while rebuilding older media and machines? Is media “recycling” as an artistic gesture characteristic of the digital age?
A medium integrates another, older medium - its codes, whether in terms of formats, enunciative rules, subjects, etc. - but integrating it, it also affirms its specificity, plays on the confrontation with it, the plasticity of its identity, and so on. How does this gesture of re-employment and playful appropriation shape artistic practices that are increasingly difficult to classify, categorize and discipline? What new horizons of expectation do these practices generate, how do they disturb our attention-giving (tele)spectator capacities and build critical discourse on the media? It is through the approach of several artistic gestures that we believe are characteristic of these processes that we will organize these reflection days.
This colloquium is part of the programming ofExperimenta, biennial arts sciences of the Hexagon organized from 1 to 10 February 2018.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 7,2018
- 13h30 - Public reception and opening by Estelle Doudet (PR Literature, Scientific Director of the Creative Experiences Axis, UMR Litt&Arts, UGA) and Antoine Conjard, (Director of Hexagon, Scène nationale Arts-sciences de Meylan)
- 14h - Traces, archives, recycling
Inaugural lecture by Eric Méchoulan (Pr Literature, Université de Montréal), presented by Yves Citton (Pr Literature, Université Paris 8)
- 14:45 - Discussion and break
Session Chair: Isabelle Krzywkowski (Pr General and Comparative Literature, UGA)
- 15h15 - Re-play / thwart the cinema machine. The machinima: a practice of techno-creative appropriation
Marida Di Crosta (Scriptwriter, MCF Sciences de l’ information et de la communication, Université Lyon III) and Claire Châtelet (MCF Audiovisuel et Nouveaux médias, Université Montpellier 3)
- 3:45pm - The film in pieces. From the work of Dominic Gagnon
Alice Lenay (Doctor of Visual Arts, UGA)
- 16:15 - Discussion and break
- 4:30 pm - The Fabrique des monstres factory: take over, retell the creative gesture.
Julie Valero (MCF Arts de la scène, UGA) and Rémi Ronfard (DR Sciences informatique, INRIA, Imagine)
- 17h - Use of live video contributions from unknown users on stage
Benoît Labourdette (artist)
- 17h30 - Discussion and end of the first day
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 8,2018
- 09h-10h30 - Guided tour of the Experimenta forum - Meeting with project leaders
- 11h - Deus ex machina: the character as an industrial incident, at Twin Peaks and elsewhere
Hervé Aubron (critic and teacher), presented by Guillaume Bourgois (MCF, Etudes cinématographiques, UGA)
- 11:45 am - Discussion and lunch break
- 14:00-15:15 - Experimenta Roundtable:“Attention intelligences!”
Hosted by Laurent Chicoineau (director of Quai des savoirs, Toulouse) with Joris Mathieu (artist, director of TNG Lyon), Frédéric Deslias (artist), Luc Palun (artist), Yves Citton, Lucie Conjard (dramatist of the exhibition Attention intelligences!).
Session Chair: Gabriele Sofia (MCF Performing Arts, UGA)
- 15h30 - From cinema to theatre: retraining, rewriting
Anyssa Kapelusz (MCF Arts de la scène, Université Aix-Marseille)
- 16h - From immersive to discursive. Hikikomori by Joris Mathieu
Noémie Fargier (Auteure, director, doctoral student in theatre studies, Université Paris 3-CNRS)
- 16h30 - 16h30 - Discussion and break
Session Chair: Joëlle Thollot (PR Sciences informatique, ENSIMAG)
- 17h - Be and act as an algorithm
Damien Beyrouthy (Artist, ATER Arts plastiques, University of Aix-Marseille)
- 17h30 - Perconte / Pelechian
Vincent Sorrel (Filmmaker, Junior SNSF Researcher, University of Lausanne)
- 17h30 - 17h30 - Software / Hardware
Bidhan Jacobs (Cinema and Audiovisual Researcher, Labex Arts H2H, University of Paris 8)
- 18h - Discussion and end of the second day
- 20h30 - La Fabrique des monstres ou démesure pour mesure, a show by Jean-François Peyret.
Hexagon, Scène nationale arts-sciences: https://www.theatre-hexagone.eu/portfolio-items/projet-stroh-lindenkolkowski-9/
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 9,2018
- 9:15 a. m. - Old practices and new technologies in three opera productions by Giorgio Barberio Corsetti and Pierrick Sorin
Caroline Mounier-Vehier (ATER, Performing Arts, UGA)
- 9:45 am - Play back, karaoke, sampling...: pop music recycling on the contemporary scene
Ulysse Caillon (Doctorate of Performing Arts, University Lyon 2)
- 10.15 am - Representing the media representation: theatre in the face of the Tutsi genocide
Armelle Talbot (MCF Arts de la scène, Université Paris 7)
- 10:45 am - Discussion and break
- 11am-12pm - Prometheus modern - Postmodern?
Meeting with Jean-François Peyret (Author and director of the show La Fabrique des monstres, programmed as part of Experimenta) and Guillaume Bourgois
- 14h - 14h - Cannibal Cinema
Gwenola Wagon (Artist-researcher, University of Paris 8), presented by Alice Lenay
- 14:45 - Discussion and break
- 15h30-16h45 - Experimenta round table:“Telling the story of virtual reality: between theatre and cinema”.
Hosted by David Gal-Regnez (director of the Pôle de compétitivité Imaginove) with Christelle Derré (director and transmedia artist), Philippe Fuchs (professor, CAOR, virtual reality, augmented reality, Paris, MINES ParisTech), P. Bouchet (MCF performing arts, UGA), A. Jakowicz (director of a France TV VR project)
- 5 p. m. - Closing lecture, by Philippe Boisnard, artist
- 17h30 - Closing aperitif