The making of this film, and the narrative system of inducing a dramatic situation only in the beginning titles, to leave film, and audience, free of all after, invite me to some reflections and proposals for a “free” cinema.
Thoughts on a free cinema
- What freedom has the filmmaker to go far from canvas narrative?
- What freedom has the viewer to overcome the same narrative framework, to move to a state of contemplation, purely sensory reception of the aesthetic object that it is offered ?
- How can we break free from both sides of the shackles that reassures us, that gives us immediate gratification, to achieve another level of emotion, of perception ?
- Film is a total art, which can collect all the arts, not just the dramatic theater.
Proposals (non-exhaustive) for free cinema
- Making short movies, so that the viewer does not feel trapped in a form too disturbing with its habits.
- Possibly induce, by a text in the header of the film, a narrative, which produces a narrative hook, whose function it is to serve as a support for a film that makes no concessions, as the underlay supporting the work of the painter.
- Working the showing and contextualization to create favorable context of reception (see Stanley Kubrick’s requirement to monitor the quality of cinemas with the release of “2001 : A Space Odyssey”, 1968).
- So disseminate films during extraordinary events (that out of the ordinary, so be harbingers of films of the same kind, as the usual film - narrative - are distributed in ordinary events (television, cinema, sharing on the internet).
- Therefore, do not hesitate to make atypical cinema theaters, ephemera, adapted to different movies and inviting them to discover, so to appreciate.
- Do not make concessions to the formal requirement in the production of the film, affirm a full difference with terms of the commercial movies (which, incidentally, also have meaning, but can not be the only referent for cinema).